Pastel de choclo is an iconic dish in Chile. This corn pie is an incredible combination of corn paste, beef, chicken, olives, onions, raisins and hard-boiled eggs, with a slightly caramelised crust on the top.
Cabernet sauvignon-based wines are the best choice to match this recipe, owing to the intensity of their flavour, body and structure. Blackcurrant is the dominant fruit, and the wines also display beautiful notes of mint and black pepper. The grape is an excellent blending partner and plays an important role in Bordeaux, where it is paired with merlot.
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
For the corn paste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1kg frozen sweetcorn
- 70-100ml whole milk
- 12 leaves of basil
For the meat filling
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1kg beef mince
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500g cooked chicken breast, diced
- Handful of raisins
- 200g black olives, pitted
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes until toasted and turning golden.
- Add the milk and basil and season, then simmer for another 10 minutes until the corn is tender. With a hand blender, blitz the corn mixture until smooth. Check the seasoning and set aside.
- Heat the oil for the filling in a large, wide pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the beef mince for about six to seven minutes, stirring regularly, until well coloured. Add the onions, chilli flakes and cumin, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the flour and mix well with the meat, allowing it to cook off for a minute or two. Slowly add 120ml water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Allow the water to come to the boil and stir until thickened to a coating consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Spoon a layer of the mince mixture into a large baking dish, then add the chicken, raisins, black olives and hard-boiled eggs in layers on top. Finish with a layer of the corn paste, making sure it completely covers the other layers. Sprinkle the top with sugar and bake for 45 minutes until golden.